SkyMedTAKES YOU HOME
The Premier Emergency Air-
Transportation Membership Service
Covering the North American continent including the USA, Canada, mexico, Bahamas, Bermuda, Belize, Costa Rica and the Caribbean
Baja Papas proudly Recommends SkyMed
SkyMed is an essential service for anyone who travels more than 100 miles from home. If, during your travels, you become critically ill or injured, SkyMed will return you home by air ambulance. Depending on the options you select, SkyMed will return your family, your vehicle, your pets, and other belongings!
[click on each feature for further explanation]
- Hospital-to-Hospital Emergency Air Transport
If a SkyMed member is critically ill or injured more than 100 air miles from home, SkyMed will arrange and pay for medically equipped air ambulance transportation by fixed-wing aircraft, to the hospital nearest their US or Canadian home. Ground ambulance to and from each hospital is included.
- Transport Home for Recuperation
If a SkyMed member and their attending physician determine it feasible and necessary for the member to recuperate closer to home, due to a critical illness or injury, SkyMed will pay for appropriate air transportation to their home.
- Commercial Carrier Medical Escort Flights
If a member's condition does not require a private air ambulance, yet the member is not able or permitted to travel as a regular passenger by commercial carrier without an attendant, SkyMed will arrange, and pay for the private care of it's member while on a commercial carrier.
- Escort Transport
SkyMed will arrange for a member's spouse/companion to accompany them in flight on a private air ambulance (space permitting). If space is not available, SkyMed will pay for air transportation for one person.
- Minor Children/Grandchildren Return
- If as a result of a critical illness or injury, a member's minor children or grandchildren are left stranded, SkyMed will pay for a regularly scheduled airline flight, with an attendant, if necessary, to return them home. Grandchildren under the age of 18 are eligible for all member services when travelling with grandparents.
- Vehicle Return
- SkyMed will pay professional drivers for over-land, safe return of operable vehicles (autos, RVs, tow vehicles, commercial vehicles, trucks) that have been left unattended as a result of a member's critical illness or injury.
- Visitor Transport
- If a member is hospitalized more than 100 air miles from home with a critical illness or injury, and they are not air repatriated home, SkyMed will provide round trip transportaion on a regularly scheduled flight for a family member or companion to be flown to the hospitalized patient.
- Return Transport After Recovery
- As a result of a critical illness or injury or extended hospital stay in a medical facility more than 100 air miles from home, a member's return transportation home, for continued recovery, will be provided at no cost to the SkyMed member.
- Incidental Expense Allowance
- SkyMed will pay up to $200 for incidental expenses associated with a member's medical flight.
- Organ Retrieval
- Should a member require a kidney, heart, lung, liver, or pancreas transplant, SkyMed will transport the donor organ to them. Individuals on transplant recipient lists at the time of application are inelgible for SkyMed Membership.
- Organ Receipt Transport
- When it is more feasible to bring the member recipient to the donor organ, SkyMed will provide air transportation for the recipient and one family member. (A nine months restriction applies to new member eligibility in Organ Transport and this service.) Individuals on transplant recipient lists at the time of application are inelgible for SkyMed Membership.
- Physical Remains Return
- When more than 100 air miles from home, should an injury or illness result in a member's death, SkyMed will provide for transportation of the member's remains to their US or Canadian home. Transportation of the spouse/companion and the vehicle return service is provided. (Physical remains return is not provided if travel commenced after a terminal prognosis.)
Three Additional Travel Options
- SkyMed Helicopter Service Option
- SkyMed's Helicopter Service Option is an optional service covering the cost of the helicopter flight from the scene of a vehicle accident to the nearest hospital, hospital-to-hospital helicopter transport and all medically necessary helicopter transports. Emergency helicopter flights do not require prior approval from SkyMed.
- SkyMed PLUS Option
- The SkyMed PLUS Option is an optional service offered by SkyMed to enhance our TAKES YOU HOME coverage and ensure even greater Peace of Mind. SkyMed PLUS is a 24 hour-a-day multi-lingual help line, providing a variety of informational and logistical services:
- Pet Return
- Help with Prescription Drugs
- Medical Provider Locations
- Emergency Payment Aid
- Emergency Messaging
- Translation Service
- Insurance Verification Help
- Travel Locator Service
- Lost Baggage Assistance
- Weather Information
- Locating Legal Assistance
- Primary Driver Disability Option
- The Primary Driver Disability Option (PDDO) increases the protection of our traditional vehicle return service which is a service of our standard membership. The PDDO provides additional service for drivers who may become incapacitated but have not suffered a critical illness or injury. This service will be of significant value in that circumstance!
With the PDDO, when the primary driver suffers a disabling illness or injury more than 100 miles from their place of transport preference and is unable to drive their vehicle home, SkyMed will provide up to $2000.00 to return the Member's vehicle. The Member has the right to determine how the funds are expended in the vehicle return, including fuel/oil, or the use of the funds to pay a third party to recover and drive the stranded vehicle. The member pays for all repairs in the course of the vehicle transport.
- This service is limited to returns overland in Canada, Mexico, and the United States (excluding Hawaii).
- This option may be used once per year.
- All vehicle returns must be pre-approved by SkyMed.
"I became very weak while on vacation in Cancun. I went to the hospital where they checked my blood and discovered my hemoglobin levels were only 1/3 of normal. I called my hemotologist in Kalamazoo, MI who said to get the blood to stabilize my condition and then get home.
When we called SkyMed, Jim on their staff was very helpful and professional. Everything about my air evacuation from Cancun to Michigan was prompt and friendly, and I was very pleased.
We have recommended SkyMed to all our friends who travel. If it weren't for SkyMed, I would not be here today".
- Maralyne Hoenes
Baja Member Login: